|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Current status||Defunct as of December 26th 2014|
The Yahoo! Directory was a web directory which at one time rivaled DMOZ in size. The directory was Yahoo!'s first offering and started in 1994 under the name Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web. When Yahoo! changed to crawler-based listings for its main results in October 2002, the human-edited directory's significance dropped, but it was still being updated as of April 16, 2014. Users could browse thousands of listings which were organized in 7 or more tiers. For example, if a user was looking for a site on chess they might follow a path such as: recreation -> games -> board games -> chess.
The directory originally offered two options for suggesting websites for possible listing: "Standard", which was free, and a paid submission process which offered expedited review. "Standard" was dropped, and a non-refundable review fee of $299 ($600 for adult sites) was required when suggesting any website. If listed, the same amount was charged annually.
- Yahoo schließt seinen Katalog from golem.de, September 27, 2014, retrieved in June 3, 2017
- Yahoo! Directory Additions for Wednesday April 16, 2014, Yahoo
- How do I add my site to the Yahoo! Directory?, Yahoo! website, accessed January 21, 2011
- Yahoo! Directory Submit, Yahoo! website, accessed April 22, 2014
- "Progress Report: Continued Product Focus", Yahoo! September 26, 2014
- "Yahoo! Closes European Directories, Says US Directory Is Safe", SearchEngineLand.com, accessed August 13, 2010
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|